Sunday, February 1, 2009

Training in the Heat

Last week I was speaking to Kendo Sensei and we both had the same answer to the following proposition: There is only one thing to do on a hot night - 

Train hard!

Actually, the answer would have been the same no matter what the situation (cold night, raining, feeling tired), but it really illustrates that you should train hard every time you train. Being very busy at work (and at home) I often find it hard to make my trainings during the week. This has really motivated me to train extra hard when I can get to training - I might not get to go next week. I am lucky that the clubs that I train at (and where I teach) the students all train really hard. This makes training with them so enjoyable. Also, everyone accomplishes so much more!

I must admit when I was younger I used to train nowhere near as hard as I do now - I was the student who constantly looked at the clock to see how much of class I still had to go through! I guess for that reason I can understand when students (usually kids) ask how much longer there is of class. I know that one day they are going to 'click' and will train really hard.

We did a really good training today, the first class back for the term. I was considering cancelling it because of the record-breaking heatwave, but my students really wanted to train. Actually it didnt seem as hot today as the class we had last February during that record breaking heatwave. I guess it will take the Sun exploding until we cancel class. 

We were sensible and had a slower class doing Sanchin Dai Ichi, as well as heaps of Bunkai for it. It is amazing that a 12-13 move Kata can have so many applications! Lucky we had training or we would have missed out on all this fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment