Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Working vs Training - or both?

It is 8.45 pm and am still at work at the moment! I will probably be at work for a while... This is one bad thing aboubt being a Lawyer. But 95% of the time work is fun. (Note: 95% may or may not be an accurate figure)

Being a Tuesday I usually try to get to a MMA class at Brazilian Top Team followed by a Gi BJJ class for about 3 hours of training total. Tonight there was also our monthly Advanced Karate seminar which was on a special Kata that catalogues all of the blocks of Karate. It is being presented at the camp this weekend and the test run was tonight. Unfortunately I could not get to any training tonight :(

I had some urgent work come up and so had to skip training. Work comes before training unfortunately. To make it worse the work is basically administrative work and will probably not be billed (so no happy time sheet). And I still have heaps to do...

Thankfully while I am waiting for documents to print and scan I am able to do some Kata practice in the hallways. I am working on Shisochin at the moment, and have managed to fit it in between the desks in my office because of the symmetrical nature of the Kata. The only modification I have to do is not extend my legs for the Mae Geri (front kicks), otherwise I will knock over a filing cabinet and/or put a hole in the wall! I am also practicing the Kata quite slowly so as not to sweat in my business attire (or rip it).

The Kata is definitely being used as a moving meditation (and is helping keeping focus on a mundane task), but I am also thinking about bunkai (applications) and so am mentally going through self defence applications. While this is probably not as good as lots of hard training, it certainly is more useful than pacing up and down the hallways.

Osu!

No comments:

Post a Comment