Sunday, March 7, 2010

SA BJJ titles 7 March 2010

First I will make some observations about my performance. The lead up to the competition was easier this year because I have been 90.5kg - 0.5kg under the weight limit for the 85-91kg category - for the last 3 weeks and therefore haven't had to drop a few kilos in a couple of weeks as I did the last two years. This removed stress from making weight and allowed me to eat regular meals leading up to the comp. I was even able to have a few drinks.

I did not mentally prepare as much as I wanted to. Usually I run through the diary of techniques that I keep (writing down each technique we do in training) so that I can list what I can do from each position. This forms a rudimentary game plan. However time constraints leading up to the comp prevented this.

I entered into 4 divisions: weight class gi and no-gi and open weight gi and no-gi. I did much better in the gi divisions, probably because I hardly train no-gi. But it was only good experience to go into as many divisions as possible. In the first open weight gi match I used my regular game plan well; pulling guard later moving to spider guard sweeping to mount and doing a gi choke. That caused a rotation into back mount where I got another gi choke eventually, though not after going through ankle pain for leaving my hooks down too deep. My bad.

The next match the ref said that I tapped out to a triangle choke (no points scored) that I had plenty of airspace on. I didn't tap at all! But I guess that the ref was just looking after the fighters. *shakes fist*

In the Weight gi division (when the match finally happened 3 hrs late) I pulled guard against a really strong opponent (I won't mention names on this blog unless I have permission) who could easily control my arms, which made attacking from guard that much harder (basically impossible). In the last 30 seconds I pulled an arm bar as he stood up, which was my best move for the day - I just saw the opening and jumped for it.

In summary of the other matches I need to work on my top game and some finer points of guard passes. I also had a rematch against my very strong friend in the open no-gi and he got me with a footsweep and landed on mount and then as I turtled to escape he got my back and finished with a rear naked choke - very nicely done. I ended up with a bronze in 85-91kg Gi, which is at least something. I will hopefully post a couple of videos shortly, although because much of my game uses the guard some matches are pretty boring to watch.


Second I will make some general observations about the competition:
There were allot of injuries. A couple of people said that people weren't tapping out of hopeless positions and so maybe that was it. One guy said he had a tight armbar and was popping his opponents elbow but still the opponent didn't tap for a while. It is one thing trying to win, it is another trying to win when you have lost. Suck it up and tap. Or get injured and tap anyway.

* I like the relaxed nature of competitors. I got to chat with people from many different clubs and all the people I talked to didn't have egos and were really relaxed. This includes dojo instructors from clubs who I was competing against. It certainly shows the good spirit of the competition when you are able to exchange compliments with a competing dojo's instructor.

* Congratulations to IsoHealth for winning the team element of the competition. The comments in the preceding paragraph certainly apply to those I met from this team. BTT took third this time after winning last year. We will have to get lots of our new guys to compete so we can hopefully win the next one.

* Match of the day I think went to a BTT member who fought a rippling musclebound machine probably 30 kgs beaver than him and who held guard for at least 3 -4 minutes (losing no points during that period). That his opponent didn't rend him within 30 seconds certainly gives him a moral victory and shows how good technique can prevail over strength.

* Kudos to the freestyle Karate guy from Elizabeth who without any ground experience went in the no-gi competition. It is great to see people throw themselves into the deep end. I hope that he continues to practice grappling.

No comments:

Post a Comment