Thursday, March 26, 2009

How not to do Tensho

Normally I avoid making negative remarks about demonstrations of techniques, because firstly it usually causes people to get defensive and not listen to the feedback, and secondly there is often something to learn from other people that I have not realized yet.

And then every so often along comes someone who deserves to be bagged...

Apparently this version of Tensho was taught by a master of Bullshido, who probably learned it from secret ninjas in Okinawa 200 years ago in the cover of darkness while becoming enlightened by mystic monks who could levitate through their breathing techniques, but in actual fact only hopped in crossed legs.

(I hope all readers know that Tensho was created in the 1920's by Miyagi Sensei)

What truly takes the cake (besides the fat guy in the video) is combination of the garish uniform, the bad music and the mystical rubbish. The part that scares me is that I have seen this disgusting trio of offenses rear their ugly head at purported Dan gradings before. *sigh*

Even though I normally am fairly understanding of stylistic differences (especially when they have an explanation, other than "uhh, I dont know, I just changed it to make it pretty") and beginners not doing things well (especially kids) I must give a warning to any of my students reading this post: performing kata like this is a great way to instantly fail your grading, or whatever else you are doing!!!

Watch and laugh (and pity the poor student as well)


and the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCtxpI2TCmY

No comments:

Post a Comment